Des Moines Public Schools and Major Real Estate Investors Recognized
LENEXA, KAN. (MAY 5, 2022) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announce the 2022 ENERGY STAR award winners. In the state of Iowa, the EPA recognizes Des Moines Public Schools and major real estate investors in the Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence category.
“We know it’s going to take us all working together to tackle the climate crisis, and the 2022 ENERGY STAR Award-winning partners are demonstrating what it takes to build a more sustainable future,” said EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan. “These companies are once again showing that taking action towards clean energy conservation can be good not only for the environment, but also for businesses and customers.”
This is the ninth year of sustained excellence for Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS), whose key achievements in 2021 include:
- Save more than $21.7 million since 2008, including $1.4 million in 2021 alone, as well as reduce site energy consumption by more than 30% from baseline.
- Benchmarked 100% of DMPS facilities, totaling over 5.8 million square feet, in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® and achieved ENERGY STAR certification at 21 schools.
- Lead the city of Des Moines to become the third mid-sized city on the EPA’s 2021 ENERGY STAR list of Best Mid-Size Cities.
- Completion of the first solar panel in the Jefferson Elementary district, which is expected to generate approximately 80% of the school’s power.
- Spend an average of $139 per student on energy costs, which is significantly lower than the national average of $205 per student.
- Promote energy practices and ENERGY STAR to the community through energy scorecards given to nearly 5,000 employees and stakeholders across the country.
This is the fifth year of sustained excellence for Main real estate investors (PRPI), whose key achievements in 2021 include:
- Obtaining ENERGY STAR certification for 20 buildings.
- Benchmarking of 100% of its portfolio in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
- Commit to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2035 at the portfolio level through its PRPI initiative, which requires all participating assets to perform monthly benchmarking of energy, water and waste via ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®.
- Completed the third year of its PRPI Cornerstone Awards program and recognized three properties for their leadership in sustainability, with a particular focus on energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR, by sharing their achievements with stakeholders via newsletters. information from the real estate team, Twitter posts, web articles and prize packs to winning teams.
- Continue to integrate Industrial Properties into its PRPI initiative by benchmarking Industrial Properties in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager®, training Property Manager Coaches, and including Industrial Properties in its bi-monthly Property Manager PRPI Newsletter and Quarterly Report on portfolio performance.
Nationally, the EPA has recognized 210 organizations as 2022 ENERGY STAR award winners. These organizations, which represent key ENERGY STAR partners, are making significant contributions in support of states’ clean energy transition. -United. They come from 37 states and cover nearly every sector of the economy, including Fortune 500 companies, schools, retailers, manufacturers, home builders, and commercial building owners and operators across the states. United.
For 30 years, ENERGY STAR has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. In 2020, energy savings from ENERGY STAR and its partners reduced electricity consumption in the United States by the equivalent of more than 10% of total United States demand, while providing emissions reductions equivalent to 5% of total US greenhouse gas emissions.
At the forefront of these results, award-winning partners have demonstrated their commitment to energy efficiency through ENERGY STAR. More than 150 of these winners are recognized for their ongoing commitment, year after year, to energy efficiency through the program’s highest honor: ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award.
Learn more about ENERGY STAR 2022 Achievements of the winners.
About ENERGY STAR
STAR ENERGY® is the government-backed symbol of energy efficiency, providing simple, credible and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state and local organizations — including more than 40% of the Fortune 500® — rely on their partnership with the EPA to provide cost-effective energy efficiency solutions. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have helped American families and businesses avoid more than $500 billion in energy costs and achieve more than 4 billion metric tons in greenhouse gas reductions. More general information about ENERGY STAR impacts can be found online at Implicationsand state-level information is available at State Facts.
# # #
Learn more about EPA Region 7
View All Region 7 Press Releases
Connect with EPA Region 7 on Facebook: www.facebook.com/eparegion7
Follow us on Twitter: @EPARegion7