The entire stargate the viewing order includes movies, TV shows, and even a web series. The stargate launched in 1994, and it went on to become one of the most successful sci-fi television franchises of all time. It only ended in 2011, with the cancellation of derivative series Stargate: Universeat that time, it consisted of three films and no less than 17 seasons on television.
Unfortunately, it’s actually rather difficult to watch the stargate franchise in strict chronological order. This is largely because there is an overlap between TV shows Stargate: SG1 and Atlantis Stargate. Fortunately, there have been few crossovers – the two shows are actually set in different galaxies – but their simultaneous arcs have confused some viewers. Here’s a full timeline and viewing order for the stargate franchise.
Stargate Origins Web TV Series
In 2018, MGM launched a digital platform dedicated solely to stargate – rightly called Order carries stars. Its launch was accompanied by the release of a 10-episode weekly prequel series, Origins of the Stargate, which explores the backstory of Dr. Catherine Langford, whose father discovered the Stargate. It’s not essential viewing, but finalists will want to watch it first, given that the events depicted in the series take place in the late 1920s.
The 1994 Stargate movie
Continuing in chronological viewing order, then, the next is stargate – the 1994 film that launched the franchise. Directed and co-written by Roland Emmerich, the plot centers on the discovery of an ancient stargate that can be used to travel between stars. The first expedition through the Stargate reveals that humanity is not alone – and that there are terrifying threats in the galaxy at large, including the sinister Goa’uld.
Stargate: SG-1 Seasons 1-7
It didn’t take long to stargate transform into a transmedia franchise, with the launch of Stargate: SG-1 TV series. Stargate: SG-1 ran for ten seasons, centered on an elite team of adventurers tasked with waging war against the Goa’uld and building relationships with other races that could help humanity survive in a hostile galaxy. Viewers can watch the first seven consecutive seasons, but Stargate SG-1 the dramatic conclusion of season 7 creates another spinoff – Atlantis Stargate.
Stargate: SG-1 Season 8 & Stargate Atlantis Season 1
Stargate: SG-1 and Atlantis Stargate ran side-by-side, which means the viewing order gets a bit more complicated at this point. The best viewing order would be:
- Stargate: SG-1 season 8, episodes 1 and 2 – explicitly taking place before the Atlantis mission in the Pegasus galaxy and preparing for its launch.
- Atlantis Stargate season 1, episodes 1 and 2 – in which the Atlantis mission kicks off, with the crew encountering humans in the Pegasus galaxy, including by Jason Momoa stargate role, Ronon.
- At this point, many viewers try to overcomplicate things. There are really two approaches, and – apart from an occasional minor detail – either works. Viewers can either choose to alternate episodes or just watch the rest of Stargate: SG-1 season 8 before watching Atlantis Stargate. However, it is important to do so; the last two parts of Stargate: SG-1 season 8 sets up the end of Atlantis Stargate season 1.
Stargate: SG-1 Season 9 & Stargate Atlantis Season 2
There is no explicit crossing in Stargate: SG-1 season 9 or Atlantis Stargate season 2, making it much easier to watch. It’s probably best to start with Atlantis Stargate season 2, however, because the first episodes logically follow the development of intergalactic travel on Earth – the technology that humanity has developed thanks to the help of extraterrestrials Asgard as Michael Shanks’ Thor. Both Stargate: SG-1 season 9 and Atlantis Stargate end of season 2 on cliffhangers.
Stargate: SG-1 Season 10 & Stargate Atlantis Season 3
There are more and more contacts between Earth and the base of Atlantis in Stargate: SG-1 season 10 and Atlantis Stargate season 3, which means the viewing order gets a bit more complicated. The best approach would be:
- Stargate: SG-1 season 10, episode 1
- Atlantis Stargate season 3, episode 1
- Stargate: SG-1 season 10, episode 2
- Stargate: Atlantis season 3, episode 2
- Stargate: SG-1 season 10, episode 3 (a crossover episode, in which SG-1 travels to Atlantis), followed by episodes 4–8
- Atlantis Stargate season 3, episodes 3-20 (one block comprising a two-part story in which the Atlantis Expedition returns to Earth)
- The rest of Stargate: SG-1 season 10
Stargate is much easier to navigate after Stargate SG-1 Season 10
There is only 10 seasons of Stargate: SG-1, but the story continued in a series of TV movies. However, it is much easier to navigate from this point:
- Stargate: The Ark of Truth tv movie
- Atlantis Stargate season 4
- Stargate: Continuum tv movie
- Atlantis Stargate season 5
The Stargate: Universe the series continues after Atlantis Stargate season 5, though again largely self-contained, and having a very different tone and style. Stargate: Universe was unfortunately canceled after season 2, and its story continues in comic book form; these comics are of dubious canonicity, however, so they shouldn’t be considered essential in terms of following the set stargate narrative.