Coronavirus (COVID-19) main web page
Due to significant supply chain issues, and with the support of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the California Department of Education (CDE) and California Department of Social Services (CDSS) are reviewing the school year (SY) 2021-2022 waiver elections and model meal waiver process.
- The choice of derogation for the annual and limited-use exemptions will only take place once.
- The waivers election survey will be open year round and you can opt for waivers at any time.
- The flexibilities offered by the waivers are available until June 30, 2022.
- If you have already completed the Nutrition Services Division (NSD) SY 2021-2022 Waiver Elections Application, available on the CDE NSD Waiver Waiver Elections Application webpage, these elections are valid until June 30, 2022.
- If you have not yet completed the NSD SY 2021â22 Waiver Elections Request, available on the CDE NSD Waiver Elections Request webpage, you can do so at any time and new waiver elections will be valid until June 30, 2022.
Online Meal Model Waiver Requests
- Deviations from the meal models require additional justification. If you anticipate needing flexibilities for meal models, be sure to complete a Meal Model Exemption Request:
Validity of the meal model exemption
- SNP: If you have requested a meal model waiver for the period beginning October 1, 2021, the approvals are valid until June 30, 2022.
- CACFP: If you have applied for and been approved for a model meal waiver for the period beginning July 1, 2021, the approvals are valid until June 30, 2022.
As a reminder, you may need to submit additional meal template waivers for the various meal template requirements you are requesting waivers.
The CDE is currently updating the COVID-19 guidelines in NPC web pages, waiver request language, and auto-generated responses to reflect this policy review.
If you have any questions regarding this update or if you have already opted for the waivers and need more information, please contact the County Specialist for your respective program. The county specialist for each program can be found under the following form identifiers in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System Download the Forms section:
- Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) âForm ID SFSP 01
- National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program and Transparent Summer Option – Identification Form
- CACFP â Form ID CACFP 01
Nutrition Services Division | 800-952-5609
Last revised: Wednesday, September 29, 2021